How to Uninstall ALL of jDownloads?
Completely uninstall jDownloads including the database tables and the data.
JDownloads consists of four major parts
- The Software which is the component, modules and plugins;
- the Data which are files that are downloaded together with the folders that form the Categories, and also all the audio and video preview files;
- the Images associated with Downloads;
- and the Database items that hold the information about configuration, user groups, download descriptions and so on.
From version 46 (October 2016) when you follow the normal Joomla! Uninstall process jDownloads offers an "Uninstall Control Panel" that allows offers a choice of which of the Data, Images and the Database items are to be deleted at the same time as the Software is uninstalled.
In versions earlier than version 46 then the Data, Images and the Database items had to be removed manually if you wanted a complete removal. The normal retention of the Data, Images and the Database items is to facilitate the possible re-loading of the software, and use is made of this during major migrations from one jDownloads series to another one.
Note also that uninstalling jDownloads Software will also delete file' jdownloads_custom.css' where you may have made some custom changes. If you plan to possibly reinstall jDownloads later you may also wish to save a copy of that file by exporting it. See http://www.jdownloads.net/documentations/item/custom-css for location details.
The various stages are summarised below, and then followed by detailed instructions for each group of items.
- First uninstall the software.
- Next delete the data directories and their contents
- Finally attend to the database items
Always make a backup before attempting this process, especially the database items.
Uninstalling the Software.
- Navigate to the Joomla Extensions Installer in your Joomla administration.
- Click on Manage in the sub menu.
- Type now in the filter field: jdownloads and click on Search to show a view similar to below:
- This gives the list of all installed jDownloads add-ons.
- Selecting the Component and clicking on Uninstalll:
- For v46 and higher it will bring up the jDownloads Uninstall Control Panel as illustrated below;
- For Earlier versions it will immediately uninstall all of the Software. The Data, Images and the Database items may be removed as described in the two sections
Uninstalling with Version 46 and higher
If you intend to re-install jDownloads at some later time then do not select any of the options.
If you are uncertain then ask in the Forum.
After uninstallig a Component then Joomla! normally sets all the associted menu items to unpublished.
Re- installing re-publishes them.
If you are completely removing jDownloads you should also remember to use the Menu Manager to remove any unwanted menu items.
After the uninstallation you should see a successfull unistal message such as shown opposite
In this example it was a complete uninstall as shown by the three bold messages given in a lighter green.
The following messages show that al the jDoads modules and plugins as well as the component werer all uninstalled.
There are only two folders that need deleting: (NB you can just rename them if you think you may want to keep the data for use later)
- the jDownloads upload root folder, default name: <site-root>/jdownloads
- the folder with the pictures and similar: <site-root>/images/jdownloads
There are several ways to delete/rename, including using the site cPanel file manager, using an ftp client such as FileZilla, or using one of the Joomla! file manager components such as eXtplorer.
Here there are multiple actions: the jDownloads tables themselves; the menu items; and the Joomla! assets table.
Delete jDownloads Tables
In phpmyadmin you can run an sql query such as
show tables like '%jdownloads%';
This produces a list of tables such as shown opposite.
Presently there are eight tables.
The prefix in this example is 'j32'
The database table name has been blanked out.
To delete one could run a query such as
or, safer, use the database structure view which lists
Clean up Menus
The menus could be deleted by using the menu manager in the normal way.
If you are unsure then please ask for more clarification in the forum.
Colin Mercer January 2015, modified September 2016
- Pre Version 46: Deleting the Database tables